Saturday 1 August 2009

Should you tip at the spa?

I have just returned from my holiday at Le Sport in St.Lucia and the issue of tipping spa therapists once again reared its head. You would think that being in "the industry" I would be very clear about when and where it is appropriate, but I still struggle with this issue, primarily because the treatments are quite pricey to begin with.

Le Sport state clearly in their in room directory that it is a NON tipping resort so you would think that cleared it up for me. Well not so! On my daily visit to the spa, I frequently saw the American visitors leaving tips for therapists, (yes I know tipping is in their DNA), but I still felt slightly guilty that I was being a stingy Brit and not showing my appreciation for a hard working therapist.

On questioning the General Manager at the resort about their policy, he told me that they believe that their service should be first class without tips and don't want to encourage different service levels that are dependent on tips. He said that guests could leave a discretionary amount at the end of their stay that would go into the staff welfare fund (which is managed by the staff).

Well that made sense and my guilt went away, but what happens if the resort doesn't take such a common sense attitude? On thinking about this further, I have finally come to the conclusion that I will only tip a therapist who is outstanding and has clearly taken extra care to give me a fantastic treatment rather than feel pressurised to do so because everyone else is doing it. You can generally decide who deserves this at the end of your stay so I will be doing this then rather than after each treatment. This is so personal and I am definitely not saying this is the "best spa etiquette" but I'm pleased I have finally cleared this up for myself.

Let me know what you think?

Stella

No comments: